AMERICA'S LARGEST OPEN HOUSE
Offered By: Gad-About Tours
Vistors are welcome to see the most beautiful gardens, homes and historical landmarks.
Operates: No scheduled departures
Tour Length: 3 Days, 2 Nights
Departs From: Akron, OH – Canton, OH - Alliance, OH – Salem, OH – Columbiana, OH
Single Room - $688.00
Double Room - $578.00
Triple Room - $538.00
Quad Room - $558.00
Every April, visitors are welcomed to some of Virginia's most beautiful gardens, homes and historic landmarks during "America's Largest Open House." This statewide event is a ABA Top 100 Event for 2015, and provides visitors a unique opportunity to see unforgettable gardens at the peak of Virginia's springtime color, as well as beautiful houses sparkling with fabulous flower arrangements created by the Garden Club of Virginia's members.
The smell of Spring is in the air (I love that smell!!), so away we'll go on our deluxe motorcoach for a very special three days when visitors come from all over the world to see the restored public gardens and private homes of historic Virginia. There are so many "different" things to do and see on this trip - you will love it!
The houses in Old Town Alexandria represent some of its earliest structures built between 1796 and 1856. All 5 private homes and gardens and 3 additional gardens on our tour are within walking distance of each other. The home will feature beautiful flower arrangements created by the members of the Garden Club of Alexandria and the Hunting Creek Gardens Club. Such a delightful time, you will enjoy strolling the quaint streets lined with charming townhouses and intimate walled gardens. Refreshments will be offered at the historic Lloyd House and Garden, one of the best examples of Alexandria's late 18th Century Georgian style.
Call your gardening buddies and join in the fun!
Tour Highlights Include:
- Woodlawn Plantation, the wedding gift of George Washington to his adopted daughter as a wedding gift.
- The Pope-Leighey House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright - most interesting!
- Torpedo Factory Artist Studio on the Waterfront - see artist at work
- Dinner at Overwood Wood-Fired American Kitchen
- Driving tour of Old Town Alexandria - later free time here to browse the quaint shops
- See Christ Church, a beautiful example of Georgian church architecture, dating from 1773
- Robert Lee's Boyhood Home - the Gerogian townhouse where he lived off and on for 13 years
- A Quaker Apothecary shop
- You'll be amazed at the George Washington Masonic National Memorial - a beaufiful building plus an extraordinary collection of Colonial-era treasures
- A day looking at the splendor of Alexandria during Virgina Garden Week. Teh beginning of Historic Garden Week dates back to 1927, when a flower show organized by the Garden Club of Virginia raised money to same some trees planted by Thomas Jefferson on the lawn at Monticello - the rest, as they say, is history!
- Ticket to tour 5 notable additional historic sites in Alexandria (Specific sites TBA)
- Alexandria evening Ghost Walk along the brick-lined streets - fun!
- Gunston Hall, a national Historic Landmark that was once the center of a 5,500 acre corn and tobacco plantation
- The United States Botanic Gardens, a living plant museum established by Congress in 1820 - is one of the oldest botanic gardens in North America - what a special treat to seee for yourself!
- Deluxe Motorcoach Transportation
- 2 Nights Accommodations
- 4 Meals:
- 2 Breakfasts
- 2 Dinners
- Touring Mentioned Above
- Luggage Handling and Taxes
This is a Gold Card Program Tour, which can earn you $100 in Free Travel.
Terms and Conditions:
For overnight tours, the deposit is based on the cost of the tour as follows:
- Overnight Tours Under $150 > $25 Deposit
- Overnight Tours $150-$800 > $75 Deposit
- Overnight Tours $801-$1,500 > $100 Deposit
- Overnight Tours over $1,501 > $250 Deposit
Up to 30 days prior to departure date, a full refund will be made. *Air and cruise tours, and some longer tours, may be different—be sure to ask for details when making your reservation. Tours including tickets also generally have earlier non-refundable dates. There are no refunds for cancellations made within 30 days prior to your departure date. However, we will do our best to recover as much as we can, but cannot guarantee anything. There will be no refund, for any reason, for a “no-show” on the day of the tour. A “Refund Protection Plan” is available at our office at a minimal cost. This insures you a full refund in case of a death or illness in the immediate family up to 24 hours before the tour departs. (It does require a doctor’s written note or copy of death notice.) On longer tours, we have a special insurance plan available if you are interested, and it will be sent to you with your confirmation. We encourage you to take advantage of these protection plans. The Refund Protection Plan does not apply to Day Trips, nor are there any refunds for Day Trips, with a few exceptions.
Gad-About Tours Inc. reserves the right to cancel any tour that has not reached a minimum number of reservations. We reserve the right to change tour prices and itinerary. Tours are prepared up to a year in advance and may be impacted by circumstances that arise which are beyond our control. We reserve the right to cancel or refuse service to anyone, in our sole discretion. We always avoid changes and cancellations if at all possible, as we realize the inconvenience to you, our valued customer.
All of our tours are by late-model, deluxe wide-body motorcoach. They are equipped with air-conditioning, reclining seats, public address system, VCR, and emergency restrooms. Our intent is for all overnight tours to be professionally escorted for your convenience. Upon occasion, in order to avoid canceling a trip with a low passenger count, our driver may serve both positions of driver and escort, and all are professionally trained to do so. Also, on air trips with low passenger counts, we may not be able to provide an escort from our company. However, we will provide airport transportation*, plus a guide from our connecting company will meet you upon arrival at your destination and be with you throughout the entire tour. (*If only a few are going on a given air tour, we will pay your airport parking fee in lieu of using the coach.)
Your lodging is included on all overnight tours. All hotels are AAA rated. We never use second-rate hotels, restaurants, or activities on any tour, to the best of our ability to make that determination. Payment of telephone calls, room service, and other incidentals at places of lodging are the responsibility of the customer.
One suitcase per person is included in the price of your tour. You are also permitted a carry-on, which is your responsibility. Additional luggage may be transported at the cost of $5.00 per bag, per day. It is wise to travel light. Luggage tags are provided and required for hotel identification, and are sent with the final letter with the phone numbers of your hotels.
TAXES AND GRATUITIES:
All taxes and gratuities for included meals and activities are included, unless otherwise mentioned by the Escort. Driver and Escort gratuities are not included in the price of the tour, and are optional. However, the suggested gratuity as posted by the American Bus Assoc. for a job well done is $2.00-$2.50 per person/per day for the tour escort, and $2.00-$2.50 per person/per day for the driver. We request that you express this on an individual basis, and let the quality of service received be your guide.
On all overnight tours, we use a daily seat rotation. The first day of a trip, we allow you to choose your seat when you get on, and rotate from there. We feel this is fair to all involved. If the coach is not full, a less formal rotation may be used at escort’s discretion.
We make regular stops for restrooms and for the convenience of smokers; however, we have a NO SMOKING policy aboard all coaches. This policy also applies to e-cigarettes.
Gad-About Tours, Inc. is bonded, insured, and registered with the ICC, number MC 198451. We act only as agents and are not responsible to any person for any loss of time or money due to a change or delay beyond our control. Nor are we responsible for non-performance by those we have contracted with. Any claims against Gad-About Tours Inc. must be made, in writing, within 30 days of the trip.